This is a much needed tool, and will be a big help to other projects connected with this issue. https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMGY6ISF8q/?taken-by=st215
Data Source: (http://www.phila.gov/prisons/page.htm)
What is Jail Jawn and Why?
This is the repository for the JailJawn.com scraper code written in Python. This started as a project to learn Python and Serverless deployment.
The following code in the repository accesses the static page provided by The City of Philadelphia Department of Prisons Census page (http://www.phila.gov/prisons/page.htm). This web page is generated internally possible by a human at infrequent times using Excel to HTML which doesn't create clean tables for scraping which requires a custom solution which as been implemented.
The Python code is deployed to Amazon Web Services Lambda running on a daily CRON job. Once the data is scraped via AWS Lambda it is pushed to our Google Firebase instance for permanent storage.
The repositories for the those are located here: API: https://github.com/JailJawn/JailJawnAPI WebApp / Site: https://github.com/JailJawn/jailjawnapp
Any questions I can be found on Website: http://www.StanleyGriggs.com/
Feel free to make issue tickets and suggestions.
Historical Inmate Data, Beautiful Charts, and The Ability see trends over time.
Python Requests (http://docs.python-requests.org/en/latest/) Python lxml (http://lxml.de/)
Steps to run on Windows
Set up Python Path
- Open Control Panel
- Go To Security and Systems
- Go to System
- Open Advanced System Settings
- Go to the "Advanced" tab and open Environmental Variables
- Scoll down to "Path" in System Variables and then double-click
- Add the local address of your Python library to the Variable Value field (For example: C:\Python27) -If there are any other paths in the field then seperate them with a semicolon (For example C:\Java_lib;C:\Python27)
- clone git://github.com/kennethreitz/requests.git
- Open terminal and run python setup.py install